Monday, September 03, 2007

Final Day, or before Day One

So this is my final morning in Singapore, before the big fly-over.

We went to the frankel corner coffeeshop for breakfast, and got the auntie there to give us her mailing address again cos E. lost it when she gave it to us on Sunday.

Found out her name is Koh Kim Wah, and stays in Circuit Road. She leaves home at 5.30am every morning to catch the bus to the coffeeshop, and opens the stall by 6.15am.

It's amazing how much you can get to know someone you see every Sunday morning, and order "2 teh-pengs, 2 soft buns" from but know so little about. Just because she takes an interest in your little bubba.


Dreamt last night that the plane we were on was hijacked, and the terrorists were going to slit my throat in front of my horrified mom and baby.

I know, I know! Vivid imagination, especially when it comes to dreaming up worst case scenarios.


I suppose a lot of this springs from a general sense of unease that I've been harbouring over this journey we're about to embark on - literally and figuratively.

Even though friends and colleagues are excited, and are keeping us in prayer, I've been having trouble shaking off the anxiety and fears. E. says what's making it worse is the fact that I don't sit down and write down exactly what are the things I need to get done when I'm over in Boston.

He's probably right.

Ok so here's the deal:

1) We fly tonight. Reach Heathrow in 13 hours and rest for 5 hours. Hopefully, Dylan will be sleeping through most of this. Another 7 hours to fly into Logan Airport.

2) We reach Boston past noon East Coast time, 5 Sep. Catch a ride from Uncle Gerry to the apartment. Collect keys and settle in. Try to contact Esther, at whose apartment some of the furniture is now at. Set up internet connection at the apartment.

3) Day 2: Get a bank account and a pre-paid phone. Not sure how to shop around for the best deal on short notice. Hopefully can get some good advice on this from Uncle Gerry. Find the nearest and cheapest groceries store and shop shop shop!

4) Day 3&4: Find out how to get a zipcar, and how to drive to the Science Centre lawn, where the Harvard Habitat for Humanity is putting up a "Stuff Sale" - hopefully we can get some good pieces of furniture there - am looking at sofa set/bed, dining table set, maybe a TV console.

5) Day 5 onwards - Orientation starts. Will think about that more when that comes.


Meantime, covet your prayers for a safe, hassle-free flight.

Please also keep Dylan's grandpa (E's dad)in your prayers. He went in for a check-up yesterday. Doctor said they "found something" on his x-ray, somewhere near the top of his right lung.

He took another x-ray.

The good news is that it's not TB.

The possible bad news, which he of course didn't say at all when he came back home yesterday - is that it might be a relapse of his cancer 15 years ago.

We pray that that's not the case, of course.

I guess we both know that both grandpa and grandma will miss Dylan terribly, so I'm consciously letting them spend more time with the little one. He's getting cuter and cuter by the day - more expressive, and more receptive now that he is starting to understand our language.

Here are the more recent photos of our 8-month old:

"Let me help pack your DHL box mommy!"
Helping to pack the DHL box

"My first merry-go-round - Woohoo, giddy-up, horsie!"
First Merry-go-round

At Lawry's with cousin Sara
With baby Sara

Me in my hoodie at Rice Table
At Rice Table

Me in Grandpa's Laundry Basket
In the Laundry Basket 2

No comments:

Post a Comment